Talk:Modularisation: A modern process for project management
Josef: Thank you, I like the idea. I would suggest to focus on either "product modularization" or "process modularization" to give your article more focus. Of course, the relationship between the two is also very interesting, but that may get a bit too broad for your article to discuss all three aspects in one "go".
Adam.pekala (reviewer 2) article accessed 2015-09-22 22:00:
The article is very nicely started with good abstract and key words. It gives a really nice overview on what the article is going to be about and creates a desire to read through – well done! Answer: Thanks
- It is good that you keep the article illustration heavy – they are well-chosen and appropriate. However, the alignment of the illustrations is something to work on (double check underlines and positioning)
Answer: Formatting wasn't done at the first draft, however I do believe that illustrations give a good look to the article.
- Sections are made correctly and it seems that they really correspond to the article. However, lack or very small introduction to the explanations and sub-topics makes it hard to read and provides the reader with a feeling of an inconsistent text. It is something to look into. Answer: Thanks for this comment, I missed the connection between the parts. I have also merged some parts/titles in order to feel more like an article.
- From a construction-guy perspective – I definitely agree with prefab as modularization. How about quickly looking into new concepts of modularized blocks of flats (with apartments as a whole) or small detached houses that one can assembly with modules to his or her needs? Might be interesting, if you find time and/or space (I know that these are small/quick examples). Answer: My initial motivation for this article was to look into construction, though I kept it more generic according to Christian's advice. I wanted to include many aspects of construction modularization, maybe in the next article :)
- The flow of the article seems to be disturbed at some point. There is, to my mind, some inconsistency of placing the sections (e.g. Sustainability and LC in-between Benefits and Limitations). Try to work this out to better fit in the method description theme. Answer: Thanks for this comment, I feel that a holistic approach is also needed in terms of modularization. That's why this part should be the last.
- Try to use more of the WIKI functions. Links and links to bibliography and source seem to be a necessity so it would be great to have that in your article as well.Answer: Done
- The structure of bibliography will probably change as you continuously work on the article. Remember to give some description about the sources you used or further reading. Answer: Done
Summing up, it seems to be a good base and you seem to have planned to develop it more. I am really looking forward for the automotive industry part – I am a car enthusiast and would love to learn something about modularization in this industry. You have already hit the 3000 words mark – be careful. Good luck!
Reviewer 2 (s141943)
- In general, I really liked the article in many ways. In my opinion it is really well-structured and it keeps the focus. Also, I think you followed Jozef suggestion and specified the topic, but still mentioned the modularization processes.
The logical flow is also appropriate, easy to understand. However, I would suggest to refer more within the article. I will write at some sections about this, but in general in my point of view it keeps the focus of the reader and the content of the article together and more compact. Also refer to the figures if you have at least in a bracket (Figure #). Answer: Done The language and the grammar is good, totally understandable, with academic level. In addition, the topic is relevant and actual, so it is really worth to write about it. Great topic choice. Especially I like that these products, like at the smartphone case are uniform and modularized, but in the meantime, they give the feeling of a unique product for the customer, because they can “build it up” for themselves.
I would just suggest: Modularization: A modern trend for project management – but in the meantime your original title is good also. Answer: That was my initial title, but in order to relate with the "method" wiki type, I decided on process. Both are good. Agreeable!
I guess it is a good overview. In the meantime I would write a bit, that you focus more on the product modularization, with a bit less with the process modularization.
I like that you have them!
Well-structured. Pay attention about the capital letters everywhere: 3.2, 5.3 Answer: Done
Great first picture, cite it.Answer: Done
- Product architecture:
Good section, at the end I would write some words about the stages in the Figure and how the modularization concept associated with them. Answer: Done
- Integrated Architecture and Modular Architecture:
I would suggest to write maybe 1 or 2 sentences of introduction for this 2 concepts, and which are the main differences. After refer to the table, that you have. Also where this 2 concepts can meet, which one is better, etc. A bit more explained comparing. Answer: Done
- Conventional product development
Good section! At the end of this section, you can refer to section 3.3 and that you explain the connection/ comparison later. It make these parts more coherent I think. Refer to the figure if you have here.
I would suggest to make just one section title: 3 Modules and Modular design and no subsections, because they are good, but rather short as well.
- Modular product development:
Comparing and reflecting back to the conventional concept. But of course if you did previously, it is not necessary here.
- Again I would write a longer, but just one title for the section: Modular… MFD and Design Structure Matrix.
Answer: Done in my way :) The sentence: “Modular Function Deployment tool is used as a step by step process of how to investigate which part of the architecture should be modularised and which should be standardised.” Is written twice. After the bullet point I would suggest ti write some explanation about these point and some conclusion about the method. Why it is good, worth to use, etc… Answer: Done
A bit more explanation how this actually works and/ or a picture about this matrix can be good. Answer: Done
- For title: Application in the industry
- Modular construction:
The first part about the section focus and limits is perfect! About the prefabricated elements, maybe a link is worth to make for those who doesn`t know this. Also at the end some advantages for this industry by the modularization as a conclusion can be good. Answer: Not enough time and space to make an analysis that suits everyone's needs :) But, as I mentioned to the other reviewer, I am eager to make a good analysis of modularization in construction.
- Modular smartphones:
Great part! Actual and relevant. The google example is also great. A picture (about the phone prototype) and reference link can be really nice here. Answer: Done
- Benefits offered by….
Great part again, nice points, that you have mentioned here. Again I would suggest to refer to some industrial examples that you have already mentioned previously to make it more coherent. In aaddition, maybe a customer satisfaction point is also worth. But it is just a suggestion. Answer: I did not connect that with the benefits. I decide it to keep it simple and briefly address the benefits.
Really good part that you put here. I would start to refer back to the smartphone example and after talk about it in general. The quote is really impressive here! Great. Maybe it is worth to make a 7.1 section: 6 RE Philosophy.Answer: Done
- The other parts are not ready, but that’s great that you mention limitations and further development, especially the further development.
In the meantime, a conclusion, like a summary can be here as section 10, before the annotated bibliography.
- Reference, I am sure you have them and I know it takes time to insert into the wiki system. Don’t forget to put them under some pictures as well.
- I hope I helped, and even if I have a lot of comment, as I said before, it is a good article/ first draft with a nice topic.
Answer: Thank you both for your comments, you really helped a lot! Your good feedback also gave me the motivation to evaluate all these aspects and write the wiki with more attention and precision. Thanks again!